Dear Watermark Church family,
“Now He was telling them a parable to show that at all times they ought to pray and not to lose heart…” Luke 18:1
This week, a member of our church told me that they went home after hearing this Sunday’s morning message on prayer and “prayed for an hour to the Lord.” But how do you spend an hour in prayer? Here are a few suggestions for what to include in an extended time of prayer.
A. Read the Bible for 5 minutes to prepare for prayer.
B. Begin praying with a period of praise and thanksgiving. (5-10 minutes)
- Give thanks for past, present and future blessings
- Praise God for who He is (attributes and character qualities)
- Freely worship and adore Him
C. Continue with confession and repentance (5-10 minutes)
- Ask God to search your thoughts and attitudes (the Holy Spirit will guide you)
- Carefully examine your speech
- Ask God to thoroughly search your relationships
- Confess your sins and commit to forsake them and obey God
- Commit to fully repent of any known sin in your thoughts, words or
- Actions (repent means to agree with God and do the right thing)
- Ask God to fill you with the Holy Spirit
D. Prayers of personal requests (Supplication/Petition, 10-15 minutes)
- Pray for God to develop your Christlike character and holiness (Pray through the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5, beatitudes in Matthew 5, etc.)
- Pray specifically for your ministry and service to God
- Pray for your physical, emotional, spiritual or financial needs
E. Prayers of Intercession (10-20 minutes)
- Pray for the needs of your family and friends
- Pray for your pastor (humility, wisdom, boldness, leadership)
- Pray for your church (unity, spiritual maturity, outreach, growth, finances, local and global missions)
- Pray for specific people who may not know Christ
- Pray for revival and spiritual awakening in your city/country
F. Meditation (reflection) and assessment
- Reflect on your time of Bible reading and prayer
- Identify what God has impressed on your heart
- Write down key thoughts in a daily journal
- End your time with thanksgiving for God’s presence with you
Look at your schedule this for week or month. When can you schedule an extended time of prayer, using the simple guidelines above? There is great power in prayer!!
Watermark Church will have a churchwide “vision and budget update” meeting to be held this Sunday, July 15 immediately following the Sunday morning worship service. We will discuss our vision of reaching Monroe and beyond for Christ. We will also give an update on our church budget and finances.
On Sunday, July 22nd, right after the Sunday morning worship service, we will be packing enough summer lunches for 50 local school kids for 5 days, for a total of 250 lunches for the week. If you can stay afterwards on Sunday and help, please contact Patti Kellis email@example.com or Tim Kellis at firstname.lastname@example.org and let them know you are able to help. You can drop off juice boxes, and individually wrapped bags of chips and cookies this Sunday at Watermark Church if you would like to contribute food items.
Watermark Church will provide a meal for the Monroe football team on Friday, August 24! Mark your calendar and come over in the afternoon on 8/24 if you can help!
CHANGE in LOCATION: A Men’s Fellowship Breakfast is held every Friday at 7:00 AM, and the location is moving to the Waffle House at the Monroe Outlets / SR 63 & I-75. Join with the men of Watermark Church for an encouraging time of fellowship!
Our Watermark Church Vacation Bible School was a huge success! We had 70 people attend, we collected 150 canned goods for the needy, and we collected $200.01 for missions!
Thanks to everyone who volunteered for one of the many tasks last week! And a special thanks to Patti and Tim Kellis, for their tireless commitment to the kids of our community! They are lights for Christ and have helped Watermark Church reach out to many with the love of Christ.
The Prophecy and World Events class is offered at 9:30 AM Sundays, taught by Pastor Ron.
Life Group: The Gibson’s and Settimos’ Life Group bible study meets every other Friday. Contact Paul or Nathan for more info.
We will have Children’s Church this Sunday during the 10:30AM worship service, ages 5 thru 4th grade.
We have now added a Grade 4-6 Children’s Sunday School class at 9:30am on Sundays. Classes are currently being offered as follows:
9:30 AM Pre-school - grade 3 Patti Kellis
9:30 AM Grades 4-6 Tim Kellis
Together learning to pray with power,